Free access to high quality arts activities for young people.
Please note: this course is no longer running you can find out about our current workshops here .
Through focusing on hands-on art activities this project provided young people with relaxation and distraction and gave participants personal space away from day to day life.
Headstart helped young people to:
- increase confidence
- learn new skills
- distraction from pain and problems
- have something enjoyable to do
- make friends
The Headstart Programme:
- Each programme was made up of 10 weekly 2 hour art workshops.
- Workshops were small groups of up to 8 young people and led by professional artists.
- Workshops were FREE and all materials are provided.
- Sessions were friendly and welcoming and no previous arts experience was necessary.
- Activities included drawing and painting, print-making and sculpture.
In the workshops we did’t ask participants to talk about why they are attending but they were required to complete evaluation forms aimed at measuring the health benefits of participating.
Headstart was an art programme run by artists who are experienced at working with people who have complex needs but they were not trained therapists. It was suitable for young people with mild to moderate health conditions.
Headstart was funded by The Rothschild Foundation.